Creepshow (1982)

Figured since we’re getting much closer to Halloween this would be a good one to spotlight. I’m a huge Stephen King fan, afterall, and this is one of the greats.

#spoilerfree?

Yeah, I’m not going into detail on this one, because honestly my suggestion would be to just watch the movie. If you’ve never heard of Creepshow, it’s a wonderful early 80s collaboration of Stephen King, George Romero and other horror icons that shines out like a jack o’ lantern in a room of mirrors.

It follows the format of the old horror magazines like Tales From the Crypt; an anthology of five different stories that occur in a little boy’s book, Creepshow. Each story offers something different and there’s a solid list of actors to boot. Leslie Nielson is in it, and he’s actually kind of creepy and it really stands out against his lighter roles.

So the book is essentially the movie in comic book form, with nothing really deterring from either version. It’s basically just an alternate way to consume the story, but unique in its own right. You get to read the host’s introductions in great detail and the art is on point.

I’m not going to spoil the details of this one, because honestly if you haven’t seen or read Creepshow you should really make a change to that (again, go for the movie first, track down the book afterwards if you can’t get enough), and as for those who have, you know what I’m talking about.

Furthermore, if you’re not really a Stephen King fan (let alone a horror fan), you needn’t worry here, this one is a lot different from the rest. There’s enough King tropes there to signal to the fans (such as “You won’t sit down for a week” or the instinctive fear of a greater power), but the stories themselves don’t really come across as such. A lot of them are actually kind of funny and tongue-in-cheek, though beware, there are some thrills along the way.

For all the horror fanatics out there this one is a must if you can get your hands on an affordable copy. Me? I lucked out finding it at a Godzilla Convention years ago.

TL;DR Score: Seriously… Anyone ever notice how 95% of Stephen King characters fear God without fearing God?… and that the remaining 5% are just evil incarnate?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: